What is IV Ozone Therapy?
October 25, 2018
Have you ever noticed the clean, fresh smell in the air after a lightning storm? This scent is the ozone, a natural air purifier and serves as a layer of protection against the harsh effects of the sun’s UV rays. Fortunately, with recent advances in medicine, it isn’t necessary to wait after a thunderstorm to reap the benefits ozone has! Ozone therapy has been used to improve health for years. Yet, few practitioners in the US offer the therapy and most people are not familiar with it. Health in the United States has declined for the second year in a row while falling behind in health as compared to other countries such as Italy, Japan, Spain, and Switzerland (1).
Statistics have shown that certain medical conditions are on the rise in the US:
1. Lyme’s disease infects 300,000 people a year (2).
2. Arthritis is the leading cause of disability with 54.4 million of adults in the U.S. Rheumatoid arthritis being the most common type of autoimmune arthritis (3).
3. Thyroid cancer has more than tripled over the past four decades and continues to rise more than 3% a year (4).
4. Each year in the United States, it is estimated that approximately 46,000 cases of invasive candidiasis are diagnosed (5).
5. Each year in the U.S., at least 2 million are infected with bacteria that are resistant to antibiotics, and at least 23,000 deaths occur each year as a direct result of these bacterial infections (6).
6. Over 2 million people in the United States have imbalances of the intestinal microbiota (7).
Americans pay an average of ten thousand dollars per year per individual in a household for health care, three times more than the cost of health care in Canada and many other countries yet Americans are experiencing the most startling decline in health than ever before (8)! So, what can be done to help prevent the health decline crisis in the US? One of the most powerful healing therapies is something that surrounds us and may help improve the declined health crisis in the US, and that is IV Ozone Therapy. The many health benefits ozone therapy has to offer are nothing short of amazing.
What is IV Ozone Therapy?
Ozone gas (O3) discovered in the mid-19th century is a colorless and odorless gas consisting of three atoms of oxygen (9). The oxygen used for clinical use is a medical grade, administered in precise therapeutic doses and never through inhalation. IV ozone therapy has been well-documented and used to treat chronic infections, wounds, Lyme Disease, rheumatoid arthritis, cancer, ulcerative colitis, lupus, and as many as one-hundred and fourteen diseases! Since the 1800’s, Nikola Tesla patented the first ozone gas generator in the United States, later starting the “Tesla Ozone Company” (9). During World War I, doctors applied ozone treatment to wounds topically for its anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties and were later able to disinfect drinking water to be applied as a spray or compress in dental medicine.
How Ozone Therapy Works
As the ozone purifies the air we breathe, it also acts as a detoxifier for our bodies by selectively attaching and eliminating bacteria, fungi, parasites, mold, yeast, and virus (10). Ozone therapy may also assist our bodies into getting rid of toxic metals. Very impressive for something we take for granted daily.
Ozone therapy increases the production of cancer-fighting compounds and strengthens various parts of the immune system that are suppressed by chronic infection and cancer. Ozone therapy helps stop the growth of human cancer cells from breast, lung, and uterus by 40-90%. Better yet, ozone therapy selectively destroys cancer cells without causing harm to healthy cells!
More than forty-five thousand doctors in over fifty countries across the globe have combined ozone gas (O3) with medical grade oxygen (O2) to successfully treat patients with Lyme disease, ulcerative colitis, fibromyalgia, diabetic ulcers, rheumatoid arthritis, HPV, and Hepatitis B and C. This is not even half the list of what ozone therapy can do for your health! (10)
When used as preventative care, ozone may help protect you from disease and strengthen your body’s natural defenses. Words spoken by Benjamin Franklin “An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure,” isn’t far from the truth. Preventing disease is much easier than curing it. Unfortunately, in the fast-paced world we live in today, we are exposed to a massive amount of chemicals. These chemicals cannot only be in the food we eat or the water we drink, but even in the air we breathe. The human body is largely composed of oxygen, an element we often neglect to think about when it comes to having better overall health. According to Dr. Otto Warburg, “Cancer is, fundamentally, a relatively simple disease where cell oxygen levels fall to a level sufficiently low enough for the cell to change in nature” (11). The decline of health and the rise of disease in the US can be directly associated with the increase in toxins and low levels of fresh oxygen. With our busy lifestyles, breathing in the low levels of oxygen and increased toxic fumes in the air further weakens our immune systems and leading to illness.
Ozone therapy can help stimulate the immune system and can also calm down the part of the immune system that leads to autoimmune disease. The body’s immune system, produces special messengers call “cytokines” as an activation response through ozone therapy. These cytokines, tell other immune cells to set off a cascade of powerful changes throughout the immune system to resist illness. Administration of ozone therapy is useful as preventative medicine because it both activates the immune system in patients with a low immunity (cancer, chronic disease) or acts as a regulator of the immune system in patients with an overactive immunity (autoimmune disease) (12).
Benefits of IV Ozone Therapy
1. Autoimmune Disease
Ozone therapy’s many therapeutic properties been used to help treat various ailments, including autoimmune disease.
In a study of patients with diabetes, ozone therapy improved controlled blood sugar levels, significant improvement of lesions without side effects, and fewer amputations than the controlled group. In patients with other autoimmune diseases such as ulcerative colitis, rheumatoid arthritis. lupus, and Lyme disease, ozone therapy can help reduce inflammation, speed up damaged tissue recovery and reduce pain (13,14)
In the body, ozone gas is converted to hydrogen peroxide and hydrogen peroxide likely is the main component for the therapeutic effects. It is a strong oxidant that has the potential to create antioxidants which are useful in preventing cancer. In research, hydrogen peroxide has been used to cause death of cancer cells (15,16). Since healthy cells cannot survive under a stressful environment for extended periods of time, ozone therapy increases antioxidant enzymes to cause death of cancer cells but promote survival of healthy cells.
10 Pass Technique
Special application techniques are in place for the safe use of ozone therapy and for you to benefit from ozone therapy to fullest extent possible! Dr. Johann Lahodny, MD, an Austrian gynecologist is the creator of the “10 Pass Technique”, an intensive and highly potent technique that goes deeper into the body and is more effective at eliminating pathogens than the standard intravenous ozone therapy, especially Lyme Disease (17). Dr. Lahodny teaches a master class to demonstrate the 10-pass technique and found through practicing on himself and his patients on the hyperbaric Zotzmann ozone generator, produced a maximum safe number of passes of the Major Autohemotherapy. The 10-pass technique is also known as the “Ozone High Dose Therapy (OHT)” or “Lahodny or Zotmann Method” (17).
Before treatment, patients are asked to drink water three glasses of water. During the 10-pass technique, under a vacuum (negative pressure), 200cc of a patient’s blood is drawn and then mixing the blood under positive pressure with 200-220ml of ozone concentration at 70 ug/ml in a solid bottle. Heparin is added to prevent coagulation then the blood-ozone mixture is re-infused into the vein of a patient under positive pressure. This technique, is repeated ten times, hence the technique “10 passes”.
Therefore, 2,000ml of blood is drawn, and the overall ozone dosage is 140,000 ug (10×70 ug/ml x 200ml) over a period of 1-2 hours, hence the name “Ozone High Dose” (18).
A small number of physicians around the US are using ozone therapy. Reviews from patients mentioned it is an effective form of treatment with minimal or without side effects.
Now, you understand the many benefits of ozone therapy and how it works, but, you may be asking yourself, “Is ozone therapy safe?”. The answer is “Ozone therapy is safe when done correctly”. Ozone therapy has been utilized and studied heavily for centuries, with its effects being proven to be safe with minimal side effects. Under strict supervision of an expert, ozone therapy will not only help in preventing and treating various conditions but can be a powerful boost to your overall health!
1. OECD Data: Life Expectancy. https://data.oecd.org/healthstat/life-expectancy-at-birth.htm. Accessed March 22, 2018.
2. Lyme: Quick Facts. http://www.ilads.org/. Accessed March 22, 2018.
3. Rheumatology: Prevalence Statistics. https://www.rheumatology.org/Learning-Center/Statistics/Prevalence-Statistics. Accessed March 22, 2018.
4. Health US News: Thyroid Cancer. https://health.usnews.com/health-care/articles/2017-03-31/us-thyroid-cancer-cases-continue-to-rise. Accessed March 22, 2018.
5. CDC: Candidiasis. https://www.cdc.gov/fungal/diseases/candidiasis/invasive/statistics.html. Accessed March 22, 2018.
6. CDC: Drug Resistance. https://www.cdc.gov/drugresistance/index.html. March 22, 2018.
7. DeGruttola, A. K., Low, D., Mizoguchi, A., & Mizoguchi, E. (2016). Current understanding of dysbiosis in disease in human and animal models. Inflammatory bowel diseases, 22(5), 1137-1150.
8. OECD: Health Expenditure and Financing. http://stats.oecd.org/Index.aspx?DataSetCode=SHA. March 22, 2018.
9. Elvis, A. M., & Ekta, J. S. (2011). Ozone therapy: A clinical review. Journal of natural science, biology, and medicine, 2(1), 66.
10. Elvis, A. M., & Ekta, J. S. (2011). Ozone therapy: A clinical review. Journal of natural science, biology, and medicine, 2(1), 66.
11. Warburg, O. (2015). Dr. Otto Warburg’s Cancer Research Papers (Vol. 6). EnCognitive. com.
12. Ozone Therapy: Effects and Medical Uses. http://www.gorter-model.org/ozone-therapy/#effects-and-medical-uses. Accessed March 26, 2018.
13. Bayer, S., Kazancioglu, H. O., Acar, A. H., Demirtas, N., & Kandas, N. O. (2017). Comparison of laser and ozone treatments on oral mucositis in an experimental model. Lasers in medical science, 32(3), 673-677.)
14. Geng, Y., Wang, W., Ma, Q., Peng, L. Q., & Liang, Z. H. (2010). Ozone therapy combined with sulfasalazine delivered via a colon therapy system for treatment of ulcerative colitis. Nan fang yi ke da xue xue bao= Journal of Southern Medical University, 30(12), 2683-2685.
15. Sagai, M., & Bocci, V. (2011). Mechanisms of Action Involved in Ozone Therapy: Is healing induced via a mild oxidative stress?. Medical gas research, 1(1), 29.
16. Smith, A. J., Oertle, J., Warren, D., & Prato, D. (2015). Ozone Therapy: A Critical Physiological and Diverse Clinical Evaluation with Regard to Immune Modulation, Anti-Infectious Properties, Anti-Cancer Potential, and Impact on Anti-Oxidant Enzymes. Open Journal of Molecular and Integrative Physiology, 5(03), 37.
17. Ozone High Dose Therapy by Dr. Lahodny. dr-lahodny.at/. Accessed March 22, 2018.
18. The Success of Ozone Therapy. https://sopmed.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/5-pass-UV.pdf. Accessed March 22, 2018.
19. The Health Center: About Ozone Therapy. http://ozonedoctor.net/index.php/about-ozone-therapy. Accessed March 26, 2018.